Saturday, June 11, 2011

I like...GLEE....I think.

That's right....I like Glee now....sorta

I'm on episode 21 right now on Netflix though.

I bet half of you are saying, “really? Would have never expected that from me” (the other half is saying they totally expected it, so hey, everybody’s happy!)  ’Glee’ is a show about a high school glee club (show choir) that could have taken place at most any of our high schools. As with everything, this is my opinion, and I welcome comments and criticisms, of me/the show/this review.

Why I like it…

It’s fresh.  Who would have thought that a show about glee club would be in prime time on a major network.  I mean, maybe Bravo or TNT, but Fox?

It’s funny.  I like shows that have a narrator to them, and the show is usually narrated at the beginning and the end, as well as the transitions.  The writing is great!  Whoever writes it is witty, but not over the top.  They make jokes, but most of them have been PG at worst, with the occasional R rated one to remind me I’m not watching ABC Family.

It’s real.  For those of you who went to high school, can’t you relate to this show?  I read something about how the reviewer thought the show was boring because it has all the stereotypes that we’ve already seen before in tons of shows before this one.  But that’s why people like it.  People can relate to the show.  people remember what it was like to be popular, and to be unpopular.  People remember what it was like to have to deal with the changes in body image, the first loves and break-ups, the hormonal rage that is jr/high school, all of it.  It may be PG-13 or R, but isn’t life?

It paints teen pregnancy as something difficult to work through, but not impossible.  If the head of a high school cheerleading team, President of the Chastity Club at the school (which is a joke, because they gush about pushing the line with their boyfriends) can get pregnant and decide not to have an abortion but bear the weight of her decision, what about teenagers these days?  Why can’t they?  If we would learn to accept the consequences of our decisions and make the best of our situations, I  think we could move forward

I like to sing.  This shouldn’t be a shock to anyone who knows me, but I love music.  I love good music, whatever genre it is.  I love theater.  I love shows.  I was in choir from when I was “this” high to now.  I’ve been in “Broadway” shows (not on Broadway, of course).  I’ve been in show choir.  I’ve been in church choir that was basically a show choir.  So I can get into a show that puts a premium on good music, strong performances and the like.

Why I DON’T like it…

It celebrates adultery.  The main character, William Shuester, is a spanish teacher and the leader of the high school glee club.  His wife is kind of annoying, and has a “Miss Priss” attitude about her.  But she does not deserve to be cheated on by her husband, who has developed an emotional affair with the guidance counselor at the school he works at.  The guidance counselor, Emma, has done nothing to stop the relationship from progressing.  I am waiting when they consummate the relationship.  This is HUGE… At some point, I hope that his students start to catch onto the relationship and call him out on it.  They know it’s not right, but why doesn’t he?

It celebrates and promotes lying.  Shue and his wife want to be pregnant, but they are having trouble getting pregnant.  They had a false pregnancy test and his wife has not told him about it yet.  So she is going to try and get Shue’s pregnant student who is in the glee club to give her the baby… ALL SO SHE DOESN’T HAVE TO BE TRUTHFUL WITH HER HUSBAND!!!!! Also tied into this is the fact that Quinn, the pregnant teenager, has not told her boyfriend, Finn, that he is not the dad.  Finn’s best friend on the football field is the dad, and she won;t tell the truth, nor will he.

I can’t think of any other reason right now that I don’t like it, although I can probably think of more.  Hopefully, I’ll have some time to extrapolate this out and describe some of the social and spiritual ramifications of this show… for now, though, if you haven’t watched ‘Glee’, watch it.  It’ll make you think, so long as you DO think.  Don’t NOT watch it just because it has some racy themes.  Life is racy.  Life is tough.  How you view it and how you respond to it makes all the difference in the world.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

For Mr. LB from Mrs. LB

javascript:void(0)